People, through community action, are the key to the success of the Salcombe Neighbourhood Development Plan.
To ensure that the process is led by all stakeholders, the Steering Group is committed to consulting with all sections of the Parish such as young and elderly people, clubs and societies, local businesses, churches, schools, home owners and the support services.
The Steering Group are volunteers with an interest in, and concern for, the place where they live and work. For more information about their terms of reference, click on the Terms of Reference link.
According to what matters most to the community of Salcombe, the Neighbourhood Development Plan can include several issues, such as housing, environment, transport, and economy and employment.
The Neighbourhood Development Plan can set out how the community would like to:
- Preserve and enhance the special character of the town
- Ensure that new development is compatible with the built and natural environment.
- Preserve historic features including green space and conservation areas.
- Protect and enhance local landscapes to ensure a sustainable future
- Protect and enhance our community assets
Specifically, a Neighbourhood Development Plan CAN do the following:
- Identify where and what type of development could happen in an area.
- Promote more development than is set out in the Local Plan.
- Include policies, provided they are not in conflict with the strategic policies in the Local Plan.
- Introduce a Neighbourhood Development Order to grant planning permission for new buildings that the community want to see go ahead.
A Neighbourhood Development Plan CANNOT:
- Conflict with the strategic policies in the Local Plan.
- Propose less development than is set out in the Local Plan.
- Be used to prevent development that is included in the Local Plan.
For the purposes of developing the first draft of the Plan, four Working Groups are being set up, each one focusing on a theme identified in the initial survey. Click on the links below for more information about what topics are to be addressed within each theme:
- Town / Environment